The POWER project is a mobile farmers market with a strong nutrition and horticulture education focus. The functions of the POWER project are as follows.
• A mobile teaching unit to build gardening, food preservation, retail ready, nutrition and cooking skills
• A resource (information, equipment, etc.) library for local producers and consumers
• A bridge between buyers, retailers, and sellers. The unit will purchase fresh produce at market value from community and market gardens and sell to restaurants, small grocers, or directly to consumers
• The unit will sell produce at discounted prices in high poverty areas and at full price in more affluent areas.
• The unit will distribute information about local food resources (farmers markets, restaurants that buy local, CSAs, etc) and to generate interest in growing, purchasing and supporting local foods.
Proposed Supply Chain Category
- Specialty Crops
- Social Capital
- Natural Capital
- Market Outlet
- Human Capital